200 grams toor dal (Indian lentils - available in Indian stores)
tamarind paste (available in Indian Store)
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
50 to 100 grams some vegetable (pumkin, onion, etc.)
1 Arc curry leaves
cilantro (coriander leaves)
2 teaspoon ambar masala powder
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds (For Seasoning)
1 teaspoon oil
1 tablespoon rice flour
2 nos. green chilies (green peppers)
asafoiteda powder (LG brand - Available in Indian store)
1. Boil Toor Dal in a pressure cooker with a pinch of Turmeric (Addition of Optional) and make this ready before going to step 2 (20 min).
2. Take 1/2 a spoon of Tamarind Paste and dissolve in 750 ml of water (or till it gives a diluted Coke color).
3. Add Turmeric, Sambar masala powder, Vegetable, Curry leaves, Salt to the tamarind liquid. Allow it to boil (10 min).
4. Sprinkle Asafoiteda powder -generously (but not too much as it gives a strong flavor).
5. Make a paste of Rice flour in cold water and add to the above boiling liquid - It will thicken.
6. Now add the boiled toor dal to this liquid and allow it to boil for next 10 min in low heat.
7. Season with mustard seed (In a separate pan heat the oil to a high temperature and add mustard seeds. They will start bursting (fun to watch but be careful as hot oil may scatter), Exactly at this time remove the oil with mustard and add to the Sambar). This is a simple process and to be done at the end of Sambar making process.
8. Decorate with Cilantro (use generously - very good for health).