Roasted Red Pepper Polenta Bake
1/2 tube pre-made polenta, sliced thin
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
1 carrot, ribboned (use a potato peeler or mandolin)
1 tomato, sliced thin
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 cup extra-firm tofu, frozen, defrosted and crumbled
1/4 cup frozen spinach, defrosted
sprig fresh rosemary, minced, or 1 teaspoon dried
1-1/2 red pepper, roasted, seeded and skinned
soda crackers, crumbled (try to get unsalted, whole wheat - if not, cut out some of the salt)
1 tablespoon margarine, melted
vegan cheese, grated (optional)
Be sure that with each additional layer, none of the layer before shows through.
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x9 casserole dish.
2. Line the bottom with polenta, overlapping if needed, add some salt and pepper. Steam carrots until almost tender, about 5 minutes. Add the carrots on top of polenta. Add a layer of tomatoes, sprinkle basil and black pepper on top.
3. In a separate bowl, mix tofu and spinach. Crumble over tomatoes, sprinkle with rosemary, salt and pepper. Lay red pepper over tofu mixture.
4. Sprinkle soda cracker crumbs over top. Pour melted margarine over crackers.
5. Bake, covered, for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake for another 5 to 10, or until top is browned. If you want, you can add some vegan cheese to the top at this moment. Let everything cool down a bit and set, serve and enjoy!
Source of recipe: Had some food that needed to be used hanging around in the fridge, and a hungry husband on his way home from work.