Roasted Acorn Squash Risotto
1 acorn squash, seeded and halved
3 cups vegetable broth + 1/2 cup water, divided
8 vegan sausage links
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 sweet onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
1 1/2 cups arborio rice
1/2 cup dry sherry, optional
pepper, to taste
pecans, chopped, for garnish
fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Oil a baking sheet well. Roast the acorn squash by placing the 2 halves cut side down on prepared baking sheet. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until fork tender.
2. Remove from the oven, and let cool for a few minutes. Scoop out the roasted squash from the skins and set aside. Warm the broth and water. Spray a nonstick skillet with olive oil and heat over medium heat. Gently fry the vegan sausages until they are golden brown. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. In a heavy saucepan, heat the olive oil on medium heat, and sauté the onion and garlic for 3 minutes. Add the curry, spices, and arborio rice and stir well, until the rice is coated. Stir and cook for about 5 minutes. Add the sherry, and 1 cup broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered, stirring frequently for 7-8 minutes.
4. When most of the liquid is absorbed, add the remaining broth 1 cup at a time, stirring and simmering until each cup of liquid is absorbed before adding the next one. (The whole process should take about 20-25 minutes.) When the final cup of liquid is mostly absorbed, add in the roasted squash and mix well.
5. Break up the sausages into bite-size pieces, and add them in. Continue stirring with a wooden spoon until the rice is creamy, yet still retains some bite. Add freshly ground pepper, cover and set aside for a few moments before serving. Risotto likes to rest a bit before you indulge! Warm up 4 serving bowls, spoon this delicious risotto into the bowls, and garnish with some chopped pecans and fresh parsley.