Rice and Split Mung Beans Khichadi
1 cup rice (preferably basmati)
3/4 cup split mung beans (moong dhal)
2 tablespoons oil
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/4 teaspoon asafetida
1/2 teaspoon ground roasted coriander seeds
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon garam masala (I use Rajah brand)
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup carrots, diced
2 plum tomatoes, diced
salt, to taste
1. Rinse the rice and beans together. This recipe can be made in a microwave as well as on the stove. If using a microwave, do not use the mustard seeds.
2. In a microwave safe bowl (4 quart), heat the oil for 1 minute. Add the cumin seeds (and mustard seeds if on stove top), and heat for 1 minute on high.
3. Add the asafetida, ground coriander seeds and turmeric powder. Heat for another minute on high. Add the garam masala, stir, then add the frozen peas, carrots, and tomatoes.
4. Cover and heat for 4 minutes, then add the rice and mung beans. Squeeze the lemon in, and add the salt. Add enough water to cover the entire contents plus 1" on top.
5. Microwave on high for 10 minutes, uncover, stir, and add about 1/4 cup water if it looks too dry. Cover and cook for another 10 minutes. Let sit for another 5 minutes, uncover, stir and serve.
You can add diced green beans, cauliflower florets, or any other kind of vegetable you prefer.
Source of recipe: This is my mom's recipe, which I modified.