Rhubarb and Strawberry Pie
3 cups sliced rhubarb (cut pieces about 1/4 wide)
3 cups sliced strawberries
1/2 cup to 3/4 cup sugar (depending on how sweet you like your pies)
1 1/2 tablespoons instant tapioca
1/3 to 1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 teaspoon grated orange peel
2 count 9 inch pie crusts (check ingredients)
a little bit of soy margarine (not completely necessary, but it improves the pie a bit)
1. Combine all ingredients except pie crusts and margarine in a bowl and let sit for 10 minutes.
2. Pour the ingredients into one of the crusts.
3. Roll out other crust flat and cut it into strips over floured board with floured rolling pin. Dot top of filling with margarine (if you're leaving out the margarine, then just don't do that part), then place the strips of pastry on top in a criss-cross or basket weave format. OR Roll out other crust flat over floured board with floured rolling pin. Dot top of filling with margarine (if you're leaving out hte margarine, then just don't do that part), then lay the rolled out pastry on top. Slash the top with two cuts, making a cross shape (this allows steam to escape).
4. Bake for 20 minutes at 400 degrees F, then reduce heat to 375 degrees F, and bake another 30 minutes.
5. Let cool 20 minutes or more, then enjoy!