Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
2 egg replacers (I use Ener-G egg replacer)
1 cup nondairy milk (I use almond milk)
2 ounces red food coloring
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
2 1/4 cups flour
1 heaping teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup vegan butter (I use Earth Balance)
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup vegan cream cheese
1/4 cup vegan butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 to 3 cups powdered sugar (I use 2 1/2 cups)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line or grease 2 cupcake pans. Prepare the ingredients for the cupcakes. First, make the egg replacer and set aside. Mix milk with 1 tablespoon vinegar and set aside for 10 minutes to curdle.
2. Mix cocoa powder with red food coloring to form a thick paste without bubbles. Set aside. In a large bowl, sift the flour with the baking powder and salt. Set aside. Beat the vegan butter with sugar using a stand mixer for 3 minutes. Alternatively, mix well by hand.
3. Add in the egg replacer and vanilla and beat until combined. Add in the cocoa/food coloring paste, mixing to incorporate and being careful not to splatter. Beat in 1/2 the curdled nondairy milk until combined. Beat in 1/2 the flour mixture until combined (scraping sides). Repeat until all of the flour is added.
4. Mix baking soda with 1 teaspoon vinegar; it will fizz! Add to the batter, mixing well to combine. Fill prepared cupcake pans 1/2 to 2/3 full for each cup. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
5. To make the frosting, beat vegan butter and vegan cream cheese for 3 minutes. Add in vanilla until combined. Beat in powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time. After cupcakes are taken out of the oven, allow to cool in pan for 2-3 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to finish cooling. Wait until cupcakes are cooled to frost!
Source of recipe: I wrote this recipe based on a modification of several recipes: http://macandcheesereview.blogspot.com/2008/02/vegan-red-velvet-cupcakes.... and http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/red_velvet_cupcakes_with_cream_cheese_f.... and http://bestcupcakerecipes.blogspot.com/2009/02/red-velvet-cupcake-recipe....