Real Sesame Cake
2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
4 tablespoons cornstarch
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup white sesame seeds
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 cup vegan butter, softened
3 tablespoons egg replacer (I use Ener G)
3/4 cup water
2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 cup sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray a 9X13" pan with cooking spray. In a large bowl, sift the flour, cornstarch, and baking powder.
2. Stir in the sesame seeds. In another bowl, beat brown sugar and butter with an electric mixer until creamy. In a small bowl, whisk together egg replacer and water until foamy.
3. Add vanilla extract, lemon juice, and egg replacer to the bowl with the creamed butter/sugar. Blend with electric mixer until well incorporated.
4. Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture and stir with a large spoon until well combined. The batter will be bumpy due to the sesame seeds. Pour the batter into the pan and sprinkle the entire cake lightly with the sugar.
5. Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. The cake will be golden brown on top. Wait 15 minutes before slicing with a butter knife. It's a very tender cake.
Source of recipe: I love sesame cake! When I was younger I had a friend who made homemade sesame cake and it was amazing. So, I whipped up a vegan version from what I could remeber the cake was made of. It came out just like it but so much better, and best yet, it's vegan. Yay! It's very light and fluffy.