Raw Brussel Sprout and Roasted Fennel Salad
Vanilla Roasted Fennel:
2 fennel bulbs, quartered
1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 (12 ounce) can 3 to 1 orange juice concentrate
1 cup water Roasted Fennel Vanilla Vinaigrette:
1 cup roasted fennel cooking liquid
1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon raw sugar
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon fennel fronds, minced
salt, to taste Salad:
1 (16 ounce) bag brussels sprouts, cored
1/4 cup roasted fennel, diced
1 red apple, diced, optional
1. For the roasted fennel, preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Place quartered fennel, vanilla, vinegar, orange juice, and water in a bread pan, making sure that the fennel is completely covered with liquid.
2. Cover with tin foil and place on a baking sheet or sheet pan (in case it bubbles over). Bake 2 1/2 hours, checking it at the 2 hour mark to make sure the fennel is getting soft and partially transparent.
3. Once done, pull it out of the oven and allow to cool to room temperature (reserve the cooking liquid for the salad dressing). Dice the fennel.
4. For the vinaigrette, add 1 cup roasted fennel cooking liquid, white balsamic vinegar, sugar, olive oil, and fennel fronds to a bowl, and whisk until combined. Add salt.
5. For the salad, remove the brussels sprout leaves individually and place in a large bowl. Add the roasted fennel, apple (if using) and 1/4 cup of the dressing. Toss just before serving and enjoy.
You can add some diced vegan chicken to it for a more substantial meal, but the salad itself is fresh on its own.
Source of recipe: This is a my signature salad.