Quinoa Apple-Cinnamon Breakfast Cake (Gluten-free)
1 tablespoon ground flax seed
3 tablespoons warm water
1-1/4 cups quinoa flour
1/4 cup arrowroot powder
1/4 cup hazelnut meal (or almond meal), OR substitute another 1/4 cup quinoa flour
1/4 cup rice bran
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1-1/3 cups applesauce
3/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup oil (I used roasted hazelnut)
1 large apple, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a small bowl, mix ground flax seed and warm water; set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, mix dry ingredients (quinoa flour, arrowroot flour, hazelnut meal, rice bran, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and clove); set aside.
3. In another bowl, mix wet ingredients (applesauce, maple syrup, oil, and flax-water mixture; set aside.
4. Add chopped apple to dry mixture, then add wet mixture to dry and stir until combined. Pour mixture into a greased cake pan, or loaf pan.
5. Bake for 55 minutes to 1 hour. (I baked mine in 1 hour 5 minutes).
For more recipes like this, check out: http://www.sketch-freeveganeating.blogspot.com
Source of recipe: This recipe is originally based off of the Quinoa Applesauce Cake (http://www.recipenet.org/health/recipes/recipkit/quinoa_applesauce_cake.htm) that I see all over the gluten-free web. This makes for a satisfying, and filling breakfast, and it tasted so yummy! You could most likely get away with serving it for dessert with ice cream too.