Pureed Vegan Winter Kale Soup
3/4 cup raw walnuts
1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds
salt, to taste
2 large onions, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 large cloves garlic, chopped
2 lemons, juice of
1 bunch Italian parsley, chopped
1 to 2 tablespoons minced thyme
3 pinches lemon zest
8 cups vegetable broth
1 (12-ounce) container soft silken tofu
3/4 cup red grapes, halved
black pepper, to taste
1 pound kale (16 packed cups)
1/3 cup chives, thinly sliced
1. In a blender, place walnuts, pumpkin seeds, sugar, salt, and just enough water to process; blend into a paste.
2. In a large pot, add 1/2 walnut-seed paste, onions, olive oil, and salt. Saute, uncovered, over medium-high heat until the onions are beyond translucent but not quite brown, stirring frequently.
3. Add garlic, lemon juice, parsley, thyme, and lemon zest; cook 5 minutes.
4. Add broth, tofu, grapes, and black pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer and stir the other 1/2 walnut-seed paste. Simmer, uncovered, for 30 to 45 minutes.
5. Turn off heat, add kale, and cover. Let sit 5 to 7 minutes. Puree the mixture until smooth. Stir in chives. -Finitito.
Source of recipe: I wrote this recipe today and it came out great, my husband is a very experienced chef and he loved it too. I made it with the thought of adding extra black pepper to compliment kale's natural spice, the addition of sweet grapes to off-set kale's natural bitterness, and the nut/seed butter and tofu to add a creamy nuttiness. Once pureed it is bright green, smooth, and full of wintery goodness.