Portobello Polenta Bake
1 "tube" polenta, any flavor, I used basil
1-2 portobello caps, 1/4" slices
1/2 red onion (1/4 cup?), diced
8 pieces asparagus, 1" pieces
1/2 bell pepper, any kind, diced
1 package tempeh, diced
*your favorite spices
**mushroom gravy, or whatever kind you like, I make lazy gravy with the following:
2 packs Hain brown gravy
1/4 cup red wine
There are 2 different ways to make this with the polenta. You can A) slice polenta into 1/4" circles (about 12 circles total) and make 2 layers or B) press polenta into the bottom of the pan for 1 layer. This method is best for larger pans
1. Lightly oil the dish/pan you plan on using and either place 1/2 polenta disks to cover, or mash down the polenta.
2. In a pan, combine onion, tempeh a bit of oil and any *seasoning you like. I used herbes de Provence (rosemary thyme and stuff) sauté until onions are soft and tempeh is browned.
3. Take portobello slices and make one layer over polenta. Cover the layer with the tempeh onion mix.
4. Cover with another layer of polenta. (skip if using other methods)
5. Cover with remaining mushrooms and veggies. Bake at 375 for 30-45 minutes or until veggies are cooked thoroughly.
**Lazy gravy: In a sauce pan, combine 1 3/4 cup water, 1/4 cup wine, garlic and any spices you like, and gravy packets. Whisk on medium heat until boiling and thick.