Porky's Favorite "Sausage" Balls
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup nondairy milk (I use soy)
1 2/3 cups flour
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
5 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
5 tablespoons oil (I used canola)
1 (14 ounce) tube vegan sausage (I use Gimme Lean sausage)
oil, as needed for rolling
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and grease a cookie sheet. Put apple cider vinegar in a measuring cup and add milk to equal 1/2 cup. Stir together and let rest for a bit while you do the dry ingredients.
2. Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl. Add oil and mix together with a pastry blender or fork. Add the milk/vinegar mixture and mix together. Add the sausage, and mix it all up with your hands. It will be very sticky.
3. Once it's all mixed together, oil hands and pinch off a bit of dough and roll it up in a little ball. Place on prepared cookie sheet.
4. Repeat until all of the dough is rolled up. It won't rise much at all, so you can place them pretty close together. Bake for about 10 minutes.
5. Flip the balls over and put back in to brown the other side for about 5 more minutes. I found that the tops didn't brown much but the underside did, so the browning really happened for the part of the sausage ball sitting on the pan.
They come out a little bit softer than the meaty kind of sausage ball. I'm still working on the firmness factor.
Source of recipe: Modified from Lezly's Savory Biscuits recipe (which I highly recommend).