Perfect Lima Bean Taco Salad
1 package frozen baby lima beans
1 large yellow onion, diced
3 cloves minced garlic
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large tomato, diced or salsa
1 avocado or guacamole
optional: finely shredded cilantro, 1 tablespoon lime juice
1/2 cup romaine lettuce, shredded
2 diced, deseeded (habanero/serrano/Thai) raw chili peppers
1. Boil water and add lima beans, cook until just tender. Drain well.
2. While limas are boiling, heat oil on medium heat and add onions. Reserve a small portion of raw onions for later. When the onions begin to brown slightly, add garlic and continue cooking for a few minutes until everything is slightly browned. You can add some chilis with the garlic to make it really spicy.
3. Prepare avocado by crushing it with salt and pepper and minced garlic.
4. Add beans to the sauteed onions, mix and cook for 5 minutes. The limas' skins will crisp slightly.
5. Dish out the bean/onion mix into bowls and add guacamole, raw onion, chili peppers, lettuce and tomatoes. Top with cilantro and lime juice (usually I put it in with the guacamole or tomato).
Enjoy this potassium packed and bloodflow boosting salad with large tortilla chips or in tortillas/pitas/wraps or plain.
Source of recipe: I got the idea to use lima beans in taco salad from a friend :> Limas are the #2 most potassium rich food in the world! Potassium helps muscles and nerves function properly, helps bodies maintain the proper electrolyte and acid-base balance and helps lower your risk of high blood pressure.