Pear Pecan Muffins
1 tablespoon ground flax seed
3 tablespoons nondairy milk
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
2-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
2 pears, pureed
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
1 tablespoon molasses
1 teaspoon rum extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract [u]Topping Mixture[/u]:
3 to 4 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts or pecans
3 to 4 tablespoons packed brown sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a measuring cup, combine flax seed and nondairy milk. Set aside.
2. Mix together dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt), then add remaining ingredients, including flax mixture (flax mixture, pear puree, coconut milk, olive oil, pecans, molasses, rum extract, and vanilla extract). Do not over mix.
3. Fill greased muffin cups about 2/3 full.
4. Mix topping ingredients together. Sprinkle topping mixture over each muffin.
5. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until lightly browned. Enjoy while warm!
Source of recipe: I had a bunch of pears and wanted to make something with them, after searching the web I found a nice pear muffin recipe that I modified to make vegan, substituting coconut milk for yogurt and milled flax seed for eggs. The result was so yum!