Pasta e Fagioli
3/4 cup ditalini pasta (or elbow macaroni)
4-8 sprigs fresh thyme (4” each)
1-2 sprigs fresh rosemary (4” each)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon vegan butter
1 cup onion, chopped (about 1 medium onion)
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
pinch red pepper flakes
4 teaspoons minced garlic
2 teaspoons salt
46 ounces low sodium vegetable broth
2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1-2 bay leaves
vegan parmesan cheese, to garnish
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, for garnish
1. Toast the pasta in a hot dry pan until lightly browned, tossing often. Transfer to a small bowl. Tie the thyme and rosemary into a bundle using white thread or kitchen twine. Heat olive oil and butter in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat.
2. To the pan, add the onion, black pepper, red pepper, garlic and salt. Saute until the onion is soft, about 3 minutes. Add the broth, beans, bay leaves, and bundle of herbs.
3. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce to medium and simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender and leaves of thyme are falling off the stems. Remove the bundle and bay leaves.
4. Remove from heat and pulse with a hand stick blender for about 10 seconds, then place back on the heat. Or, let 1 cup of the mixture cool in a bowl, then carefully puree in a blender or food processor and return to pot.
5. Add the pasta, and simmer according to package cook times, or until tender, but firm to the bite. Season the soup and serve with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.
Source of recipe: Adapted from Giada De Larentis.