Orange Marmalade Chocolate Chip Bars
1 cup vegan margarine (I use Earth Balance)
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 egg replacers (I used Ener-G)
1 orange, separated as zest and juice
3 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup cocoa powder
2 cups chocolate chips, divided
1 1/2- 2 cups orange marmalade (about 15 ounces), divided
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. In a large bowl, cream together the margarine and sugar. Add the almond extract, vanilla extract, egg replacers, orange zest, and orange juice.
2. In a separate bowl, mix together the dry ingredients. Add dry ingredients to wet ones, and mix. Add in about 1-1 1/2 cups chocolate chips. Grease a 9x9" square baking pan. Take a little more than half the dough and press it into the pan; it should be between 1/2-1" thick. Spread a layer of marmalade over the dough, about 1/4" thick.
3. Sprinkle the reserved chocolate chips over the marmalade. Take the rest of the dough and spread it on top of the marmalade layer. I take small balls of dough and press them very flat and thin between my palms, then lay them on top of the marmalade and blend the edges together with my fingers. They don't have to all be perfectly blended, and you can even crumble the dough on top if you like.
4. Spread a very thin layer of marmalade on top of the bars before baking (like a thin glaze), and sprinkle on more chocolate chips if you have them.
5. Bake for 25 minutes. Let cool before cutting into bars.
Source of recipe: This recipe was modified from this one: http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/orange-marmalade-bars/Detail.aspx