Oatmeal Cacao Nib Cookies
1-1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1-1/4 cups vegan margarine (2-1/2 sticks), room temperature
3/4 cups cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg equivalent, prepared
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups rolled oats
1/2 to 3/4 cup cacao nibs, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. In medium bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg.
3. In a separate bowl, cream margarine, brown sugar, and white sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg replacer and vanilla.
4. Stir creamed mixture into flour mixture; combine thoroughly, then stir in oats and cacao nibs.
5. Drop dough in rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets and bake for 11 minutes.
Source of recipe: I'm visiting my parents on the top of a mountain in the middle of nowhere, Panama, and haven't been able to find vegan chocolate chips so I picked up some locally grown organic cacao nibs and I'm pretty sure I've been converted and won't be using chocolate chips again! They're also a superfood high in antioxidants and minerals which is fantastic. They add a huge chocolate flavour and a great crunch which means there's no real need for nuts at all if you usually like nuts in your cookies. My dad says they're the best chocolate chip cookies he's ever had!