Not lil' Debbies Oatmeal Creme pie
1 cup vegan butter (I use Earth Balance)
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon molasses
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 eggs worth of Ener-g Egg replacer (follow box instructions), or ground flaxseed + water
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 cup ground up quick oats, ground in a food processor or blender
Optional: 1/2 cup chocolate chips or raisins.
2 teaspoons hot water
1/4 teaspoon salt
Half a container of vegan marshmallow creme (I use RiceMellow)
1/2 cup vegetable shortening (I use Spectrum)
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1) Make your "egg" mixture! And make sure you made the oats into a powder. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2) Combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl until creamy. In a separate bowl, mix the flour, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon. Add the dry to the wet, and then mix in oats. If using chocolate chips, fold them in now.
3) Drop onto ungreased cookie sheets. Try to make them all relatively the same size, so you can smoosh them together. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes - do not overcook.
4) Now make the filling while they bake. Dissolve the salt in the hot water and allow to cool.
5) Combine marshmallow creme, shortening, powdered sugar, and vanilla in a bowl. Mix with a hand mixer on high. Add salt solution.
6) Once the cookies have cooled, spread filling on the flat side of one cookie and then press another cookie on top.
Source of recipe: I have a thing for "veganizing" things from my childhood, from candy bars to cookies. I took a non-vegan recipe (http://www.recipezaar.com/Little-Debbie-Oatmeal-Cream-Pie-23841) and made some adjustments of my own. One major thing I changed was blending the oats, to make them more of a flour.