No Tuna or Faux Tuna Salad Sandwich/Melt
1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
2 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise (I use Vegenaise)
1-2 tablespoons dill pickle relish (or chopped dill pickles)
1/4 cup red onion, chopped
1/4 cup celery, chopped
1/8 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
dash black pepper
2 wheat or sourdough slices bread
1 vegan cheese slice or shreds, optional
1. Place chickpeas in bowl or tupperware container, and mash completely with a fork (food processors tend to destroy the texture a bit).
2. Add vegan mayonnaise and relish. Add red onion and celery, then spices.
3. Mix until thoroughly blended. Optionally, spread a very thin layer of vegan mayonnaise on one side of each slice of bread.
4. Spread chickpea salad on bread for cold, toasted sandwich, or with the added vegan cheese in the toaster oven or in the oven set on low broil.
5. If you decide to do a melt in the oven, add the mixture onto one piece of bread with cheese on top. Once the cheeze is melted, add second piece of bread on top so it has a chance to toast.
I've also put this mix into pita bread and tortillas for a quick, one the go lunch. Also excellent with added veggies, lettuce, tomato, pickle (if not already using a relish or chopped pickles), etc.
Source of recipe: I looked around for a decent substitute for a real tuna salad sandwich. I read some recipes that mentioned chickpeas, and figured I could wing it and come up with something good. I love this now.