No Chicken and Dumplings
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 large carrots, chopped
4 stalks celery with leaves, chopped
1 pound potatoes, (I prefer Yukon Gold)
1 large sweet onion, cut into large wedges
4 cups water
2 (2- to 3-ounce) vegan vegetable bouillon cubes
1 1/2 cup + 2/3 cup unbleached white flour, divided
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dried dill
2/3 cup non-dairy milk
1 egg equivalent
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 cup cold water
1. Stew: In a pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add carrots, celery, potatoes, and onion; cook 5 to 7 minutes, or until they are about half-way done.
2. In a pot, combine boiling water and bouillon cubes; stir to dissolve. Transfer vegetables from pan to pot; bring to a boil on medium-high heat, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
3. In a bowl, combine 2/3 cup flour and cold water. Slowly stir into vegetable stew until desired thickness is achieved (typically I end up using only 2/3 of flour mixture). Return to boil over medium heat.
4. Dumpling Batter: In a bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, baking powder, parsley, salt, and dill; evenly mix. Add milk, egg substitute, and oil; evenly mix.
5. Drop dumpling batter by heaping tablespoon into stew. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 10 to 15 minutes, or until dumplings are no longer doughy.Remove from heat and let cool 5 minutes prior to serving
Source of recipe: I was trying to make a vegetarian version of chicken and dumplings like my dad used to make. The dumplings portion of the recipe I got from a Vegetarian Times Low Fat Cookbook.