Mushroom Fettuccini Alfredo
1 pound fettucini noodles of your choice (I used brown rice pasta, Tinkyada brand)
3 pounds mushrooms (mix and match, any kind will do! I used white button, shiitake and these adorable little white mushrooms called bunapi... see photo below)
5 cloves fresh garlic, crushed
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp coconut aminos or any low-sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup fresh parsley
~ for the sauce
1½ cups raw cashews
2 cups unsweetened soy milk or any non-dairy milk
1 cup water
¼ cup nutritional yeast
1 TBS mellow white miso
1 TBS fresh lemon juice
1 tsp grated nutmeg
1 tsp garlic powder
1) First make the sauce: Place the cashews plus 2 cups of the soy milk in a blender and blend until very smooth. Add remaining ingredients and blend until smooth. Don't worry if the sauce seems too thin. As soon as it warms, it will thicken. A lot. (NOTE: a high-powered blender, such as a VitaMix, is the best tool for this sauce. However, if you don't have a VitaMix or other powerful blender, you can soak the cashews for about 5 hours. This will help to achieve a smoother texture.)
2) Set aside.
3) Heat the pasta water.
4) Slice the mushrooms.
5) Place the oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat.
6) Wait until the oil is hot and add the mushrooms and garlic. Stir well. This isn't very much oil for all those mushrooms! I used just enough to get them a little bit seared, so you will soon need to add a bit of water. Just keep adding small amounts of water, as needed to prevent sticking, until the mushrooms are cooked.
7) Cook the pasta. Drain and place back into the pot.
8) Pour in the sauce. Mix well with the pasta and cook over low heat just to warm.
9) Plate the pasta and top with the mushrooms.
10) Add some freshly ground black pepper, nutmeg and/or parsley for garnish.