Molasses Vanilla Bean Snickerdoodle Cookies
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon Cookies:
1 2/3 cups +1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar or vanilla sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
1/4 cup molasses
3 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon nondairy milk
1/2 vanilla bean pod, seeds scraped or 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper. On a large plate, preferably with high sides or a rim around the edges, mix the topping together (sugar and cinnamon) and set aside.
2. In a medium to large bowl, combine all the flour, baking soda, and salt. Whisk to get everything incorporated nicely. In a separate bowl, whisk together the sugar and oil until thoroughly mixed.
3. Stir in molasses, vanilla bean seeds or vanilla extract and nondairy milk. Mix these ingredients together, then slowly sift in the dry ingredients. Use your hands to get a dough to form. Avoid overworking the dough.
4. Take small portions of the dough and roll into walnut sized balls. You can make them bigger, if you so choose, but this size usually yields about 20 cookies. Gently press cookie between your palms and fingers to form little disks/patties. Carefully pat cookie disks into cinnamon sugar topping mix.
5. Place on prepared cookie sheets, sugar side up and bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until the edges turn a faint golden brown. For a softer cookie with a chewy edge, bake for about 10 minutes. Allow a few minutes for cookies to cool before removing from sheet pan, then transfer to wire cooling rack and allow to completely cool.
Don't peek while the cookies are baking. You run the risk of letting the heat out the oven which makes for a sad cookie.
Source of recipe: Cookie science madness! This recipe was inspired by lack of ingredients to make my Lemon Vanilla Blueberry Cookies (http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=33025.0 ). I modified that recipe and came up with this delicious accident.