Millet "Mashed Potatoes" and Mushroom Gravy
1 medium onion, diced
1 head cauliflower, chopped to florets
1 cup millet
4 cups vegetable broth or water
1 heaping tablespoon mellow white miso, optional
1-2 small pats vegan margarine (I use Earth Balance)
salt and pepper, to taste Gravy:
oil, as needed
1/4 cup onions, diced
1 (8 ounce) carton mushrooms
1 clove garlic, minced finely or pressed
1-2 cups vegetable broth
1 heaping tablespoon kuzu, arrowroot, or cornstarch
1. In a medium saucepan or pot, layer the onions, cauliflower, and millet. Add water or broth. Bring to a boil, put heat on low, and cover. Let simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from heat, uncover, and immediately whisk to create a creamy texture.
2. If using the miso (which I highly recommend!), put it in a small bowl and add some very hot water or broth. Stir to dissolve miso, and add the entire mixture back to the millet mixture.
3. Stir and add in the vegan butter, seasoning with salt and pepper, to taste. While the millet is cooking, prepare the gravy. Add some oil to a skillet over medium heat, and then add the onions and mushrooms (don't salt yet).
4. Let saute for 5 minutes, and add the garlic and salt. Let saute for 1-2 minutes, and make sure the garlic doesn't burn. Add broth. Bring it up to a simmer over medium-low heat.
5. In a small bowl, put the kuzu/arrowroot/or cornstarch, and add some cold broth to dissolve. Don't add warm liquid or it will clump. Add kuzu mixture back to the gravy and stir until thickened. Serve millet warm with the gravy on top.
The recipe may sound really involved, but it's not, it's really easy. I love this stuff, and have not gone back to regular mashed potatoes since. It is a much healthier alternative and tasty taboot!