Mexican Pasta Casserole
1/2 pound rotini (corkscrew) pasta
1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
1/2 cup yellow onion
12 ounces vegan taco "meat"
1 cup corn
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (14.5 ounce) can fire roasted diced tomatoes with green chiles
10 ounces vegan cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Cook pasta until al dente, according to package directions. Saute onion in oil on medium-high heat until transparent.
2. Lower heat to medium-low and add and mash taco "meat" to onion until well mixed. Add corn to mixture and mix until well mixed. Add tomato sauce and tomatoes to "meat" mixture and combine well.
3. Spread half of the "meat" mixture along the bottom of a 9" x 13" baking dish. Drain cooked pasta and poor over the "meat" mixture. Pour remaining sauce mixture over the pasta and mix.
4. Sprinkle and mix in about 2/3 of the shredded cheese with the pasta and "meat" mixture. Mix until well combined. Sprinkle remaining 1/3 cheese evenly over the top.
5. Cover with foil, and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake on broil about 5 minutes until cheese is lightly browned (watch closely so it doesn’t burn!).