Megans Punk Rock Lasagna
12 oz. uncooked whole wheat lasagna noodles
24 oz. tofu
2 jars of organic spaghetti sauce
1 large diced yellow onion
12 oz. diced mushrooms
1 large diced red pepper
1 eggplant very thinkly sliced
1 small shredded zucchini
1 lb. loose Megans Punk Rock Pesto:
8 oz. tofu
2 bunches of basil (about two cups)
4-6 cloves of garlic or more to taste
1/3 cup olive oil
2 medium tomatoes cut in chunks
1/4 cup pine nuts
1/3 cup fake parmesean
Note: This is a time consuming but worthwhile recipe. To save time, you can buy ready-made vegan pesto, although Punk Rock Pesto is way better.
Lasagna:1. In a large skillet, saute onion, mushrooms, and bell pepper until onions are soft and translucent (about 20 minutes).
2. In another skillet, simultaneously begin grilling eggplant slices on both sides until soft and a deep golden color.
3. While cooking eggplant, make pesto (instructions below).
4. Steam spinach until slightly wilted, then drain and chop.
5. Mash the 24 oz. tofu. Combine with shredded zucchini, pesto, and spinach.
6. Layer a 9X2 1/2X13 casserole dish with spaghetti sauce. Continue with layer of raw noodles, breaking into pieces to cover empty spaces. Spread 1/3 of Annies spread evenly on noodle layer. Cover with half of onion mixture, followed by half of tofu mixture. Layer half of the eggplant slices on this layer. Repeat all above instructions once. After second round, layer more noodles on top of tofu mixture, then top with Annies and lots of spaghetti sauce. Sprinkle generously with fake parmesean, if desired.
7. Bake uncovered for 45 minutes at 425 degrees.
Pesto:1. In food processor, mix tomatoes with 4 oz. tofu, olive oil, pine nuts, garlic, and fake parmesean.
2. Gradually add basil, making sure it gets well-processed.
3. Add remaining tofu and mix it all together really, really well.