Maple Wheat Rolls
1 1/2 cups warm water
3 tablespoons maple syrup
1 pkg. dry yeast
1/4 cup canola oil
1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
2 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
1 teaspoon salt
Oil for brushing
1. In a large bowl, combine water and maple syrup. Add yeast and stir to dissolve. Cover and let sit until bubbly, about 5 minutes.
2. To yeast mixture, add canola oil, whole-wheat flour, 1 1/2 cups unbleached white flour, and salt. Stir until well mixed.
3. Generously flour a work suface with some the remaining flour and place dough on it. Knead dough, gradually incorporating remaining flour. The kneading will take 10 to 12 minutes. By the end of this time the dough should have a slight stick to it but not stick to your hands. Cover dough with an inverted bowl and let rise until doubled, 30 to 60 minutes.
4. Lightly oil an 8 by 8-inch baking pan. Divide dough into 16 equal pieces, shape into round balls, brush lightly with oil, and place in prepared pan. Cover and let rise until until doubled, 30 to 60 minutes.
5. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake rolls until golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes.
These are perfect with a holiday meal, or any time.