Maple Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Hazelnuts and Cranberries
1 lb Brussels sprouts, stems trimmed and cut in half
1 can chickpeas or butter beans, drained, rinse, and patted dry
1T olive oil
2T pure maple syrup
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp allspice
1/2-1 tsp salt
1-2 tsp golden balsamic vinegar (optional)
1/4 cup hazelnuts or pecans, chopped
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1. Preheat oven to 400 Fehrenheit. Cover a baking sheet with tinfoil.
2. Prepare your Brussels sprouts and put them on the baking sheet with the chickpeas. Drizzle with olive oil and maple syrup, then mix to coat. Add the spices and salt and mix again.
3. Optional: Splash the sprouts with 1-2 tsp golden Balsamic vinegar.
4. Bake for 20-25 minutes. When 10 minutes are left, add chopped nuts.
5. Sprouts are done when they are golden and carmelized. Stir in cranberries and serve over a hearty grain, such as bulgur or quinoa.
6. Optional: You can use fresh cranberries instead of dried but adding them to the baking sheet with Brussels sprouts and chickpeas in step 2.