Maple Oatmeal-Spelt Bread
2 1/4 teaspoon yeast
1 3/4 cups Water
3 tablespoon organic pure maple syrup
2 cups bread flour
2 cups spelt flour(whole wheat may be substituted)
1 cup rolled oats
2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup canola oil (optional)
1) Mix warm water and yeast in bowl, allow to rest 5 minutes
2) Add syrup and oil (if using)
3) Stir in white flour
4) On a floured board knead in spelt flour
5) Knead for four minutes
6) Dump oats on board and knead in
7) Allow to rest for 15 minutes
8) Knead for ten minutes and transfer to oiled bowl **Kneading times vary greatly...dough should be supple, but as with all oat vegan breads the dough will not be as stretchy or resiliant as white doughs...it should also be a bit sticky
9) Allow to rise 2 hours or until double ** Dough may be frozen at this point, allowed to rise more, or shape into loaves for baking--see next steps
__________________________________________________________ Freezing: Frequently I make triple batches and freeze 2/3. SImply wrap in plastic, then wrap in foil or place in a freezer bag. To defrost keep at room temperature for 6 hours, punch down, shape loaf and allow to proof before baking.
____________________________________________________________ Bake Now: Punch down dough, preheat oven to 375, shape loaf into desired shape or use a loaf pan. When shaping, oats may be sprinkled on board so that they stick to the outside for a pretty--and tasty- crust. Allow to rise for 35-40 minutes, bake loaf for 45-55 minutes. During last 10 minutes of baking brush with pure maple syrup for a shiny glaze.
____________________________________________________________ Develop more flavor and superior texture: This method is the method I use on my French loaves and I find that it gives a more developed flavor and superior texture.
--After step 9, gently deflate dough, shape into a bowl and allow to rise for 75 minutes.
--Gently deflate again, reshape into a ball, and allow to rise for another hour.
--Gently deflate again, preheat to 375 degrees, shape into desired loaf shape (I like a boule). When shaping, oats may be sprinkled on board so that they stick to the outside for a pretty--and tasty-crust. Allow to rise for 35-40 minutes, bake loaf for 45-55 minutes. During last 10 minutes of baking brush with melted pure maple syrup (2 tsp or so) for a shiny glaze.