Lentil Phyllo Rolls
2 to 3 cups broth or water
2 cups green or brown lentils
1 carrot, diced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 teaspoon "beef" broth granules
2 tablespoons oil
1 onion, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 sheet vegan phyllo or puff pastry
1. In a pot, bring 2 cups of broth to a boil. Add lentils and carrots; reduce to a simmer and cook until very tender, add up to an additional 1 cup broth if necessary. Once tender, WELL drain any additional broth (excess wetness will ruin the finished product). Allow to cool.
2. To the lentils, add tomato paste and broth granules; check seasoning and add more paste or granules to preference. Thoroughly blend, then slightly mash mixture.
3. In a pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; saute until onion is translucent
4. Roll out pastry. Spread with a layer of lentils. Top with the garlic and onion, evenly distributed. Roll up like a jelly roll and slice into individual "wheels", about 1 inch thick. Place wheels on a baking sheet.
5. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 30 minutes, or until pastry is golden.
Source of recipe: A veganised version of a friend's dish