1 onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon (15 g) vegan margarine (I use Vitalite)
1-1/3 cup (250 g) split red lentils or toor dal
1 garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon chili powder, or more to taste
3 cups (750 ml) water
1.8 ounces (50 g) creamed coconut
1. Fry the onion in margarine for 10 minutes until soft and lightly browned.
2. Add lentils, garlic, cumin, salt, turmeric, and chili; stir for 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Add the water, bring to the boil, and simmer gently for 25-30mins, until the lentils are tender.
4. Add the creamed coconut and stir over the heat until dissolved.
5. Check seasoning and serve with rice.
This is a REALLY simple recipe, it's really easy to make too and tastes amazing!
I also made this using toor dal which are different kind of lentil, they should be available in the Indian food section in most supermarkets.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I did! :)
Source of recipe: This is a recipe that my Mum gave me a long time ago after she made this for me and I loved it. I lost it and recently got it back again thanks to my sister.