Lemony Orzo with Asparagus & Shiitake Mushrooms
1/3 cup dried or fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced
1 to 1-1/2 cups vegetable stock
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1/2 small yellow onion, sliced
salt, to taste
2 cloves garlic, minced
10 large stalks asparagus, ends trimmed, sliced in pieces
1/3 cup frozen green peas and carrot blend (optional)
ground pepper, to taste
1 cup orzo
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
1 tablespoon vegan parmesan
1. If using dehydrated mushrooms: In a bowl, combine boiling water and dehydrated mushrooms; let soak until soft, about 10 minutes. Remove mushrooms and slice. If you are using fresh mushrooms, skip this step.
2. To a pot over high heat, add 1 cup vegetable stock; bring to a soft boil and then turn down the heat.
3. In a skillet over medium heat, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add onions and salt; saute until onion is translucent and soft. Add the garlic and cook for another minute or two. Then add the mushrooms, asparagus, green pea and carrot blend, and ground pepper; cook until the asparagus and mushrooms are soft.
4. In a small pot over medium-high heat, combine 1 tablespoon olive oil, orzo, lemon juice, lemon zest, and parmesan. Add broth, a ladleful at a time; stir until all the liquid has been absorbed. Continue to add ladlefuls of broth until all of the broth, adding up to an additional 1/2 cup if necessary to cook orzo.
5. Add the vegetable mixture from the skillet to the orzo. Mix. If desired, top with more parmesan when serving.
For more information, please see my blog here: http://veganmiss.blogspot.com/2012/05/lemony-orzo-with-asparagus-shiitak...