Irish Whiskey Cake
1/4 to1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional) [u]Cake[/u]
1-1/3 cups almond milk
2/3 cup oil
1/3 cup Irish whiskey (Jameson works well)
1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons coffee
2-2/3 cups flour
1-1/2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon baking soda [u]Glaze[/u] (optional)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup Irish whiskey
2 tablespoons vegan margarine
1 teaspoon water [u]Hard Sauce[/u] (optional)
1-1/2 cups powered sugar
1/2 cup vegan margarine
2 tablespoons Irish whiskey
You can serve this cake plain, with the glaze, with the hard sauce, or both.
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spray a bundt pan with cooking spray. Sprinkle nuts, if using, onto bottom of pan.
2. Cake: In a medium bowl combine wet cake ingredients: almond milk, oil, Irish whiskey, and coffee. In a larger bowl combine dry cake ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. Make a well in the center of dry ingredients and add wet, mix very well. Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 60 minutes.
3. When done place pan on rack for 10 minutes then remove cake from pan and place on rack. Either proceed to glaze or hard sauce preparation or let cake cool and eat as is.
4. Glaze: Place all glaze ingredients in a small sauce pan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil and continue boiling for 2 to 3 minutes. Poke still warm cake all over with a skewer or fork. Then slowly pour glaze over cake. Let cool and enjoy or add a dollop or hard sauce and enjoy.
5. Hard Sauce: Cream together sugar and margarine until light and fluffy. Add whiskey and beat until blended. Serve a dollop on each slice of plain cake or glazed cake.
Source of recipe: My adaptation of a traditional Irish Whiskey Cake.