naan bread (see following recipe)
spicy spinach sauce (see following recipe)
3 cloves minced garlic (only if there is no garlic in naan, or if there is and you like it super garlicy)
1 1/2” knob minced ginger (about 1 ½-2 T)
a handful cilantro, coarse chopped (about 2-3T)
1 bunch green onion 1/2 - 1” sections
1/2 a cauliflower - florets only – broken into small pieces ¼”
1 chinese eggplant, small dice
1 tomato, small dice
4 mushrooms, small dice
There's a restaurant in San Francisco named Zante's and this is my recipe to recreate their vegan Indian pizza.. BEST FOOD ON THE PLANET, EVER!
1. Make the naan bread and spinach sauce.
2. Lightly sprinkle a grease baking sheet with corn meal and place the dough on top.
3. Spread the unbaked naan with the spinach sauce, just like you would with tomato sauce on a typical pizza.
4. Top the pizza with the remaining ingredients in this order: tomato, eggplant, mushroom, cauliflower, ginger, garlic, cilantro, green onion.
5. Bake at 400 F for 20-30 mins.or until the crust is golden brown around the edges.
6. Slice and enjoy the best pizza you will ever taste! :)
Naan Bread with Garlic and Coriander
200 ml / 6.75 fl oz water (lukewarm - not too hot!) 1 teaspoon sugar 1 teaspoon active dried yeast 4 cups flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1 1/2 teaspoon salt 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice 3 to 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped (optional) 3 Tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped (optional) oil spray
1. Combine sugar and water in a small bowl, stirring to dissolve sugar. Slowly sprinkle the yeast over the water, constantly stirring to avoid lumps. Put the bowl somewhere warm (microwave or top of stove) until there is froth on top of it - about 15 minutes.
2. Mix flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl, adding the optional ingredients for garlic and coriander naan. Sprinkle the lemon juice over, then pour in the frothy yeast mixture. Mix it all together and knead for about 100 strokes, adding more water as necessary to make a pliable dough. Cover the bowl and let it rise in a warm place for at least 1 hour.
3. When all the other ingredients for the pizza are prepared, knead for another 50 strokes and then form the dough into a ball and flatten it to fit baking sheet, or pizza pan. Cover with oil. Use as pizza crust.
Spicy Spinach Sauce
1 lb. fresh spinach 4 fat cloves garlic 1/2 medium onion 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more as needed 1 teaspoon garam masala + 1/2t turmeric or 1 1/2 teaspoon curry powder 3 Tablespoons coconut milk, soy milk, water or broth, plus more as needed crushed red pepper to taste
1. Wash the spinach leaves well and drain. Add 1/2 cup water and spinach to a pot. Heat on high for a few minutes, stirring, until the water starts to steam and the bottom leaves begin to wilt. Stir well, cover, lower heat, and cook for about 7 minutes, until just tender. Drain (don't worry about getting out all the water.) Puree in a blender or food processor until smooth.
2. Finely mince the garlic and onion.
3. Heat a couple tablespoons of olive oil in a saute pan. Cook the garlic and onion over medium heat until soft and fragrant. Stir in the turmeric and cook a minute or two more.
4. Toss in the spinach puree and stir well. Add the milk, salt, garam masala and a sprinkling of crushed red pepper to taste. Bring to a low simmer, and cook a few minutes more to let the flavors meld. If the mixture looks too dry, add a little more milk. Use as pizza sauce and spread on unbaked naan.