1/4 cup vegan margarine (I use Earth Balance)
1/2 cup unbleached white flour
1 cup lemon juice (or 1/2 cup lemon juice mixed with 1/2 cup water)
6 tablespoons nutritional yeast
2 tablespoons dijon mustard
1/4 cup plain nondairy milk, optional (I use soymilk)
1 teaspoon salt
water, as needed
1. To a pan on medium heat, add margarine; allow to melt, but do not burn. Add flour; whisk or stir together for 1 minute to cook the flour. It will stick to the utensil-don't worry.
2. Slowly add lemon juice, whisking vigorously so as not to get lumps. If you are *not* using nondairy milk, add additional liquid for desired thickness and lemony-ness.
3. Vigorously whisk in nutritional yeast, then whisk in mustard.
4. Add nondairy milk. If mixture is already too thin for preference, then do not add milk.
5. Add salt to taste and whisk. Adjust seasonings to preference. If mixture is too thick, whisk in small amounts of water until desired thickness is reached. Good luck!
Source of recipe: I was experimenting in the kitchen.