Healthy Baked Zucchini Fries
4 cups bread crumbs
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
1/2 teaspoon chili powder, optional
1 tablespoon apple vinegar or lemon juice
1 cup nondairy milk (I use soy)
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 zucchini, sliced into fries
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray baking sheet with nonstick spray. Place bread crumbs food processor for 20 seconds or until finely grated.
2. Move bread crumbs to shallow bowl and add cayenne pepper and chili powder, if using. Set aside. Mix apple vinegar or lemon juice to nondairy milk for vegan buttermilk. Stir and leave undisturbed 5 minutes.
3. In another bowl, combine the flours, buttermilk, salt and pepper.
4. Dip zucchini in wet ingredients. Then dip and cover zucchini individually into bread crumbs and place on baking sheet.
5. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve immediately.
You can substitute zucchini for onions and sweet potatoes and you'll get onion rings or sweet potato fries.