Haricot Bean Salad, Grecian Style
8 ounces dry haricot beans
1/2 cup olive oil
1 cup water
2 teaspoons tomato puree
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 sprigs thyme
1 onion, sliced in thin rounds
1 lemon, juice of
black pepper, to taste
chopped parsley, to taste
1. Soak the beans in waters for 2 hours. Cook them in plenty of water until nearly tender; drain.
2. Heat the oil in a good sized saucepan. Add the beans; cook them very gently for about 10 minutes.
3. Stir in 1 cup water, tomato puree, salt, garlic, thyme, and bayleaf; simmer gently, without a lid, until the liquid has reduced to a thick, terracotta-colored sauce and the beans are tender. Cool.
4. Add the onion and lemon juice. Season with more sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
5. Chill the salad before serving. Garnish with chopped parsley.