Grilled Portobello Sandwiches
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons Bragg's liquid aminos or soy sauce
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 cloves garlic, diced
1 tablespoon oregano
pinch fresh black pepper Sandwiches:
2 portobello mushrooms, sliced
2 club rolls or other deli-type roll
2 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise, divided (I use Vegenaise)
1 tablespoon German mustard, divided
1 tomato, thinly sliced
1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
handful pickle sandwich slices
small handful nacho jalapeno slices
1. In a bowl, combine the marinade ingredients. In a shallow pan, spread out the portobello slices and pour the marinade on top.
2. If they are fully submerged in marinade, marinate the portobellos for about an hour, if not flip the portobellos over after 30 minutes and then let soak for remaining 30 minutes. Save any marinade left over.
3. Grill portobellos for about 10 minutes, flipping after 5 (I used a panini grill that I left open, I didn't want to close it and squeeze all the juicy flavors out of the portobellos), then refrigerate until cold.
4. Slice deli rolls in 1/2 and spread both sides with 1/2 tablespoon vegan mayo. Spread mustard on 1 side of bread.
5. Lay down spinach, tomato, onion, pickle, jalapeno and portobellos. Close up sandwich and slice in 1/2. Serve with left over marinade for a dipping sauce, hot or cold.
Source of recipe: I wanted to make a sandwich that I might find in a good deli.