Garlic Cheese Biscuits
1 1/4 cups plain nondairy milk
1 tablespoon vinegar
3 cups unbleached all purpose flour (whole wheat can be used)
1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons vegan margarine, divided (Earth Balance works best)
3-5 ounces vegan cheese, shredded (Follow Your Heart worked really well for me)
3/4 teaspoon garlic powder, divided
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and grease a cookie sheet. Add vinegar to milk, and let curdle. Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large mixing bowl.
2. Add 3 tablespoons margarine and cut it into the mixture, until the mixture is somewhat crumbly. Add cheese, sour milk, and 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, and mix until a ball of dough forms.
3. Let the dough sit for about 5 minutes. Drop onto prepared cookie sheet into balls of about 2" in diameter, be sure to not lay them too close together.
4. Bake for about 14 minutes; they don't brown too much on the tops but keep a close eye on the bottoms during the last few minutes of baking.
5. Meanwhile, melt the remainder of the margarine (2 tablespoons), and add the rest of the garlic (1/2 teaspoon) to the melted margarine. As soon as the biscuits come out of the oven, brush the garlic butter mixture onto the tops of all the biscuits.
Serve hot, goes good on the side of pretty much anything!