Fruit Filled Spring Rolls
12 large square sheets rice paper
2 bananas, sliced into thin rounds
8 medium strawberries, cut into small pieces lengthwise
1-2 (6 ounce) containers strawberry vegan yogurt
mint, for garnish, optional
1. Have a large baking dish (big enough to completely submerge a rice paper sheet) filled with warm water. Next to that, have rice paper, then fruit, then large plate, paper towels or a kitchen towel, then serving plate covered with plastic wrap.
2. Place 1 rice paper sheet into water and press down softly to cover. Allow to sit 1 minute, then pull out gently; don't tear it! Place it flat down on plate and place 4 slices banana and 1/2 sliced strawberry at the bottom corner.
3. Fold up corner, then fold over. Place on your serving plate and cover with the plastic wrap. Wipe off your rolling plate and repeat with remaining sheets and fruit, placing under plastic wrap after each one to keep from drying out.
4. After all wraps are used up, uncover rolls and (with a very sharp knife), cut each in 1/2 on the diagonal. Arrange attractively on a serving plate and divide yogurt between 4 small dipping bowls (1 for each person).
5. Garnish with a drizzle of sauce and a sprig of mint.
This is a great recipe for a midsummer brunch. It should be served with something light on the side, as these aren't very substantial on their own. It can, however, be changed to suit anyones tastes and sweet-tooth. Great with any fruit you would like. Great ones to try: peaches, pineapple, coconut shreds, small apple chunks, chopped cherries, mandarin orange segments (patted dry first), mango, papaya, pear.
A great sauce to try drizzled on bananas inside the roll: vegan chocolate melted with a bit of peanut butter; it's very easy to make these look elegant and taste delicious! Lastly, enjoy!