Fried "Egg" Sandwich
1 (12-ounce) block extra firm tofu
2 tablespoons olive oil (plus more to grease the pan)
2 tablespoons apple cider/white wine/rice vinegar
1 teaspoon turmeric
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
little shy of 1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
3 english muffins or toast
1. Preheat griddle to 300 degrees F or pan to med-high heat.
2. Cut tofu into 8 thin rectangles and press under a heavy pan for 15 minutes to get excess water out.
3. While tofu is being pressing mix together the oil, vinegar, and spices (turmeric, salt, garlic powder, black pepper, paprika, and onion powder) in a shallow dish.
4. Once tofu is finished draining dredge it in the mixture and place on hot griddle. Cook until tofu starts to brown, flip and brown the other side, takes roughly 10 minutes per side. Pressing down on the tofu with a spatula occasionally seems to help it cook evenly
5. Serve on english muffin. I like heating my english muffin on the griddle with some earth balance while the tofu is cooking but this is great on any bread or on it's own.
Source of recipe: Kinda a combo of some other egg recipes ive tried all mixed together