"Fried Chiken" Eggplant
1 large purple eggplant, peeled and sliced
1 tablespoon salt
2 cups oil
2 egg replacers (http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=7678.0)
1/2-1 cup hot sauce
1-2 cups flour
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon red pepper seeds, optional
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon sage or poultry seasoning
1 teaspoon salt or seasoning salt, optional
1. Place eggplant in a bowl with enough room to cover the eggplant with water. Add 1 tablespoon salt, (to remove the bitterness from the eggplant) cover the bowl with a lid or some type of plastic wrap, and place in the refrigerator for at least 3-5 hours (not overnight).
2. When the allotted time has passed, remove the eggplant from the refrigerator. Place the oil into a frying pan and preheat at a medium-low temperature.
3. Combine the egg replacers and hot sauce in one dish and the flour and seasonings in another. Pour the brown water off of the eggplant and pour fresh water in the bowl.
4. Dip the eggplant into the egg replacer-hot sauce mixture first and then the flour mixture before placing into the frying pan of hot oil.
5. Flip when the eggplant turns brown on the bottom side. When the other side turns brown, remove the eggplant from the oil and allow the excess oil to drain on the paper towels.