2 cups fresh figs (very ripe ones work best) (about 10 to 12 figs)
2 tablespoons orange juice
1 cup apple sauce
1 tablespoon vanilla
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup turbinado sugar (any sweetener will do)
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
I had some figs that were going to go bad very soon, so I wondered if there was such a thing as "Fig Bread" and there is! But, I wasn't too happy with recipes I found online... so I made this one up. It smells up the house almost like blueberry muffins, and the bread comes out a little moist inside (just like I like it) - but overall, its sweet and tasty. Enjoy.
1. Prepare figs - slice off the tips and halve them. Place in a bowl and mash them up - with skin and all!
2. Stir in orange juice, applesauce, vanilla, oil, and sugar.
3. Mix the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder and soda) in separate bowl then stir into wet ingredients until well mixed.
4. Pour into a greased loaf pan (or you could make muffins too!)
5. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 45 to 55 minutes. Check after 45 and cook more if needed.
Source of recipe: I modified/veganized it from many recipes I found online.