Fabulously Fast Focaccia
2 cups of unbleached all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder (that's why its fast!)
6 tablespoon olive oil
2/3 to 3/4 cup of water
2 cloves of garlic, crushed in a garlic press
1 teaspoon paprika and 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
some canned plum tomatoes (not the juice)
black olives, green olives, sliced into rings
additional toppings include: chilis, basil, onion sliced very thin, chopped fresh
parsley, chopped sundried tomatoes and the piece de resistance....pesto!
1. Prepare the dough by blending the flour, salt, baking powder, paprika, and cayenne - blend with a wire whisk.
2. Add the olive oil and 2/3 cup of water - add up to 3/4 cups of water if dough is still too dry.
3. Knead briefly by folding dough toward you and then pushing it down and away from you (say 5 to 10 times)
4. Roll out either using a rolling pin, or stretch it out into shape with your hands.
5. Top first with a brushing of olive oil - then the pesto if you are using.
6. Take the tomatoes out of the can and get rid of as much juice as possible (shakeem a bit) then Mush them in your hand and spread onto the dough (2 to 4 tomatoes at most).
7. Season with herbs, olives, sundried tomaotes, onion and chilies
8. Bake at 400 degrees Faren. for 12 to 15 minutes (until dough is golden brown)
Enjoy with soup and salad.