English Muffin Morning Delight
1 english muffin
1 teaspoon grapeseed oil (you might want a little more)
2 tomato slices, seeded
1/4 block extra firm tofu
4 teaspoons sesame Tahini
3/4 teaspoon turmeric
1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons tamari soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 or 3 sprinkles of pepper
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
1/4 cup chopped white onion Avocado Cream Sauce:
1/2 of a ripe avocado
1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lime juice
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 cup almond milk (or other non-dairy milk) 2 teaspoons chopped cilantro (optional)
NOTE: It’s always best to avoid eating tomato seeds when possible. This is because they don’t always get chewed efficiently and therefore pose risk to those with diverticula in the colon. Plus, in this recipe, the tofu scramble gets pressed onto the English muffin through the holes in the tomato slice.NOTE: If you want it a bit smoother, add more milk 1 teaspoon at a time.
1. Start by making the scramble. Take your 1/4 block and cut that in half, draining between paper towels and pressing lightly for some more water to drain out. You don’t need it too dry but you definitely don’t want it to be soggy. Let it sit there.
2. Chop the pepper and the onion.
3. In a medium sized frying pan, over heat a little less than medium, pour in the olive oil and soy sauce. Add the pepper and onion.
4. While the veggies are cooking, place your two slabs of tofu on a plate and cover the top surface of each half with the tahini, 2 teaspoons each. Place on top of each other and mash with a fork a few times. Add the turmeric and mash till you have a crumbly, “scrambled-egg” like consistency.
5. Add the sunflower seeds in the pan with the peppers and onions. Stir and sauté for 1 minute.
6. Add in the tofu mixture, stir, and let cook for about 3 minutes, then turn heat down to low. Add the salt and pepper and stir to heat throughout.
7. Half the english muffin and toast it however long you like. I usually do mine about medium toastiness! This gives a perfect crunch.
8. While the muffin is toasting, get out the blender and blend all the Avocado Cream Sauce ingredients.
9. When the muffin is done, drizzle lightly with the grape seed oil so the muffin is not dry and boring. You could also use Earth Balance, but I try to limit soy whenever possible, especially since the tofu counts as one serving. Top each half with your tomato slices.
10. Divide the scramble in half and pile onto each muffin half, pressing lightly into the empty sections of the tomato. Top each pile with your delicious avocado sauce and garnish with a sprig of cilantro. Dig in!
Source of recipe: I was craving my tofu scramble that I usually make, and wanted to serve with an english muffin. Then decided to throw in my avocado sauce (that I made up to go over pasta) and layer it all for some serious deluxe breakfast action.