12 ounces frozen vegan burger-style crumbles
1 (1 1/4 ounce) packet taco seasoning
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup scallions, finely chopped
1 cup low-sodium vegetable stock
2 (15 ounce) cans black or pinto beans, drained
2 (15 ounce) cans enchilada sauce, divided
2-3 cups vegan cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
1 (4-5 ounce) can green chilies, divided, optional
1 (10 ounce) bag Frito corn chips, crushed
1. In a bowl, combine burger crumbles with taco seasoning. Coat crumbles well. Set aside. Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the scallions and cook for about 3 minutes.
2. Stir in the flour and cook for about 1 minute. Add the stock. Continue to stir until creamy and well blended, about 1 minute. Stir in beans, set aside. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a 9 x 13" baking pan with nonstick spray.
3. Cover the bottom of the pan with enchilada sauce. Place 1 layer tortillas over sauce and pour all of the bean mixture on top. Follow with part of the cheese and 1/2 the green chilies (if you're using them).
4. Add another slathering of enchilada sauce and another layer of tortillas. Add the burger crumbles, more cheese, the rest of the chilies, and more enchilada sauce. End with the remaining tortillas, enchilada sauce, and cheese.
5. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and sprinkle all the crushed Fritos on top. Pop this back in the oven for about 15 minutes.
This sounds a bit complicated but it's easy and totally delicious. The leftovers will keep about 5 or 6 days. It reheats in the toaster oven really well. Can be served with vegan sour cream. My boyfriend and his roommates really gobbled this up.