Egg-Free Breakfast Scramble
1 package regular (not silken) tofu. I usually use firm, but really - you can use any kind!
1 teaspoon of paprika
1 tablespoon of soy sauce -OR- Braggs amino acids (or a dash of salt will do)
1 handful of fresh parsley
1/2 of a bell pepper - cleaned and chopped or diced (small pieces)
1 large (or 2 small) potatoes - cleaned, peeled and chopped
1/2 of any kind of small onion -OR- 3 green onions
a dash of pepper
some olive oil
1) Wash and drain the tofu.
2) Wash, drain and chop all other veggies (parsley, bell pepper, potatoes, and onion).
3) Put some olive oil into a frying pan / skillet and get it real hot. Dont skip on the olive oil. It adds to the flavor and you are going to need extra when you add in the tofu later. Drop in the chopped potatoes - careful not to splatter yourself with hot oil! Turn heat to medium, COVER and cook for about 10 to 15 minutes.
4) While the potatoes are cooking, crumble the tofu into a large bowl. Sprinkling in the Paprika, Soy Sauce, Pepper, and the fresh veggies. Mix it all together.
5) Check on your potatoes and stir them. When the potatoes are just about ready (you can easily spear them with a fork but they aren't mush yet.. or it seems they will be soft enough to eat any minute now), turn the heat up a bit and add in the tofu mixture. Stir it around to mix in with the potatoes. You might need to add more oil. Make sure you have enough olive oil so that things don't stick.
6) Cook uncovered, stirring every 2 to 3 minutes, until the tofu is warmed and the potatoes are soft. Usually if I have timed the potatoes right, I'm cooking the whole mixture here for between 5 and 10 minutes. If you are REALLY good you might get a little browning on the tofu -yummy!
7) Serve warm with your choice of vegan bread.
OTHER FUN IDEAS * Serve it with vegan sausage. You can even mix the sausage into the cooking tofu for added flavor.
* Add in any veggies that you think sound good. I sometimes add in: fresh mushrooms, fresh tomatoes, fresh spinach. Just wash, drain and chop any veggies you like.
* If you have it or can get it - throw in a couple tablespoons of fresh rosemary leaves, chopped very finely. Adds a sausage-y kind of flavor.