Easy, Yummy, All-Purpose Bread
1/3 cup + 2/3 cup warm water
1 (0.25-ounce) package yeast (2-1/4 teaspoons)
2 cups flour, plus more as necessary
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
olive oil for spreading Toppings:
makes great pizza dough or just olive oil and coarse sea salt
1. In a small bowl, mix 1/3 cup warm water, sugar, and yeast. Set aside to rise for about 10 minutes.
2. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Make a well in the middle.
3. Once the yeast mixture has risen, pour the yeast mixture and 2/3 cup warm water into the well and mix with your hands until the mixture holds together, but isn't overly sticky or dry. If it seems too sticky (i.e., is completely stuck onto your fingers), add more flour. If it seems hard to mix, add more water (no more than about 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon at a time though!).
4. Once the dough has formed, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead for about 5 minutes, until the dough looks shiny and elastic (doesn't have to be perfect--it will become more elastic and shiny after it rises). Again, if it seems too hard to knead because it's stuck to your hands, or you feel like it's too hard, add more flour or water. Form the dough into a ball.
5. Oil a large bowl, and put the ball of dough in it, covering it with oil. cover the dough with plastic wrap, then put a towel over it and let it sit for 45 to 60 minutes, or until it has doubled in size.
6. Punch the dough down, re-form it into a ball, cover and let it rise for another 20 to 30 minutes.
7. Roll out the dough with a rolling pin, into whatever shape you want--i like a rectangle, but a circle for a pizza is great too. Put the dough in a pan (if rectangular, it should be small, like a brownie pan) and pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees F.
8. After about 10 minutes, lightly spread olive oil on top, and puncture the sides of the dough, around the perimeter, to form a crust, using your finger to drill holes about 1/4-inch apart.
9. From here, you can bake it as is for 15 minutes, or bake it for 7 minutes, take it out, and put toppings of your choosing on it (e.g., pizza sauce and veggies, crumbled tofu etc.).
10. Once it's a light golden on top and if you tap it, it sounds firm and hollow, take it out of the oven and out of the pan to a cooling rack to cool.
Source of recipe: I wrote this recipe