Easy Basic Pizza and/or Breadstick Dough
1 cup warm water
1 (1/4 ounce) package dry active yeast
2 3/4 cups all natural white or whole wheat flour, divided
1 teaspoon vegan sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon fresh herbs, chopped (I like fresh rosemary and thyme)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1. Place the warm water in a small bowl and stir in yeast. Let sit for 5 minutes. In large bowl, mix together 2 1/2 cups flour, sugar, salt and herbs.
2. Make a well in center of flour mixture, and pour in olive oil and yeast mixture. Mix with spoon until it forms a rough looking ball of dough.
3. On a well floured surface, knead dough for about 5 minutes, adding the remaining 1/4 cup flour, or just enough until dough isn't sticky anymore. After dough is well kneaded, flatten a bit into a disk shape.
4. Lightly oil a bowl, and place dough in bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit out (don't refrigerate) and rise for 2 hours. After dough is done rising, punch down dough releasing the air. Roll out to desired shape on well floured surface.
5. Preheat oven to desired temperature. For 1 medium or large sized pizza, bake in 500 degree F oven for 20 minutes. For mini pizzas, bake in 495 degree F oven for 8-10 minutes. For 1 medium or large row of breadsticks, bake in 490 degrees F oven for 15-20 minutes.
Source of recipe: A little modified version of recipe from a Family Circle magazine.