Easy and Delicious Baked Mostacholi
1 lb mostacholi noodles (or any other shape you like)
1 green pepper
8-10 large mushrooms (button, baby bellas, or whatever you prefer)
2 28 oz cans of spaghetti sauce (or make your own, if you're more industrious than I am!)
vegan ricotta (I use ricotta recipe from this site by "theposters" from the "Spinach and 'Ricotta' Stuffed Shells" posting. It's delicious!)
vegan parmesan (optional)
2-4 garlic cloves (depending on how much you love garlic)
olive oil (enough to saute veggies)
desired italian spices--I use oregano, basil, thyme
I couldn't believe how easy this was, or how much everyone loved it! I usually serve it with salad and garlic bread on the side, naturally :-) You can substitute whatever veggies you think would be good (or that you have in your pantry!) I've also thought about adding veggie crumbles or mock chicken to this recipe, but haven't gotten to try that yet!
1. Start noodles--cook until aldente, then drain the water.
2. In the meantime, chop green pepper, garlic, and mushrooms and saute them over medium heat for a few minutes (until cooked through).
3. Add italian spices.
4. Add all but about 1/3 cup of spaghetti sauce to veggie mixture (save just enough to cover the bottom of your baking dish).
5. Add pre-made (or bought) vegan ricotta mixture to sauce and veggies and mix.
6. In a large baking dish, spread a thin layer of sauce (enough to cover entire bottom of dish) on the bottom of the dish.
7. Layer half of pasta on top of sauce, followed by a layer of half of the sauce mixture on top of pasta.
8. Layer the rest of pasta and layer the last of the sauce mixture on top of the noodles.
9. cover sauce mixture with grated vegan parmesan.
Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30-45 minutes.
Source of recipe: I had a version of this recipe at a restaurant and experimented to come up with a vegan one.