Delicious Rice & Peas
1 can Gunga Peas (also known as pigeon peas, I used the Goya brand)
1 cup uncooked brown rice
2/3 of a bunch of green onions
1/4 large onion
1 garlic clove
1 can coconut milk (13.5 oz)
1 can water (we used the 13.5 oz coconut milk can)
salt, to taste (maybe a teaspoon)
1. Chop the green onions and onion. Finely chop the garlic. Saute vegetables in oil of your choice. I used vegetable oil.
2. Add can of beans (I also used the beans liquid from the can), coconut milk, and water.
3. Bring mixture to a boil.Note: You do not need to simmer the mixture since the beans have already been cooked. If you used uncooked beans you will need to simmer the mixture until beans are tender.
4. Add uncooked rice to boiling mixture one handful at a time. Note you will stir the mixture after each handful of rice.
5. Bring mixture to another boil, then place lid on pan and cook on low until rice is cooked. Approximately 40-60 minutes.Note: - Once cooked the rice had a little cream from the coconut on top. Once you fluff the rice the cream blends in and really makes the rice taste extra yummy.- We fluffed the rice while it was cooking (toward the very end of the cooking time). If you do so be sure not to mash the rice down as this will disturb the cooking of the rice.
Source of recipe: This recipe is from my friend. They used it at a Vegan Cooking Presentation.